a bit of a story + our coriander corn sauté
I know it’s not really the season for corn.
That the days of butter and salt
and kernels from the cob
have passed with summer picnics
and popsicles from the store.
But I’m making it anyway.
Back in July, The Globe & Mail,
Canada’s newspaper of record,
asked me to work on a story about Herriott Grace.
It was meant to be a tale about friendship and food
and early fall entertaining.
A story about what kind of meal
I might like to make and share with friends.
It was fun.
The recipe here is one of the five that Tara and I came up with.
Well she came up with the recipes really,
I more chatted endlessly about the food I love,
a passtime that she and I have in common.
But Tara really is,
the one that made it happen.
It was delicious.
Here’s what our menu looked like:
SANTA CLAUS MELON AND ARUGULA SALAD
BRINED PORK CHOPS WITH CIDER PAN SAUCE AND FRIED CAPERS
FRESH CORN SAUTÉ WITH FENNEL AND CORIANDER (find the recipe below)
BLANCHED BRUSSELS SPROUT LEAVES WITH TOASTED HAZELNUTS
ICE WINE GELÉE WITH PLUMS AND YOGURT MOUSSE (find the recipe here!)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 to 4 ears of corn, husked (or about 3 cups frozen corn)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium onion, such as Vidalia, diced
- Smoked salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Heat coriander and fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, shaking the pan often (around 3 to 4 minutes). Remove seeds to a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder and pound or process until coarsely ground.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not browned (about 10 minutes). Add corn, any accumulated juices from the bowl and ground spices. Cook until corn is tender-crisp (around 7 minutes – time may vary for frozen corn). Season with smoked salt and white pepper.
these cupcakes are pretty
i shared this photo on instagram, but here it is again. adorable
new work in bon appétit magazine (and here)
in this post:
photos: michael graydon
styling: nikole herriott
food: tara o’brady
large and small plates: mjölk
egg coddlers (glass jars): herriott grace