for the love of pie: aran goyoaga and nadia dole

FOR THE LOVE OF PIE — a series that celebrates the simple things.
Today, Aran and Nadia and their Summer Berry and Yogurt Tart!

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
I’m not sure how often it is
you come across two people
as kind hearted and talented as Aran and Nadia.

Aran’s blog, Cannelle et Vanille
is one of those places,
where magic happens.
Where images and words
mingle together to tell a story
of a passion for food
and family that is altogether,
inspiring.

Nadia’s blog, La Porte Rouge
is one of those places too.
Written about her
and her family’s corner

of the countryside
Nadia writes in a way
that reminds you to take note
of all the magic out there,
of all the good.

And the two of them together make a pretty extraordinary team
of whom I’m honoured to have here.
Find a little more about Aran and Nadia
and their recipe below.

WHO?
Aran Goyoaga and Nadia Dole

WHAT KIND?
Summer Berry and Yogurt Tart.
Gluten free borwn rice and millet tart dough filled with a yogurt and lemon custard and studded with black raspberries, blueberrues and red currants. But any summer fruit works well for this tart. We love it with nectarines and cherries!

WHERE?
Aran is originally from the Basque Country in Northern Spain, but currently resides in South Florida. Nadia is originally from Montreal but lives on the most beautiful hill in Vermont. All the miles apart cannot keep us apart so Aran traveled to Vermont and baked a berry tart in Nadia’s kitchen… ah the light there. We shared the tart there with Aran’s two children and our friend Romina.

WHY?
Aran loves custard and Nadia likes a crusty pastry. There are many blueberry bushes near Nadia’s home and lots of berry picking spots all around. Just couldn’t resist.

BEST SERVED WITH?
A dollop of vanilla bean whipped cream or ice cream. And rhubarb ginger ale to top it all of.

ONE OR TWO THINGS?
Nadia loves fog and Aran wants to roll in a field of wildflowers. And we love to converse. Very much so.

RECIPE:
Summer Berry and Yogurt Tart by Aran Goyoaga
Makes a 9-inch tart

PASTRY DOUGH
2/3 cups (90 g) superfine brown rice flour (or regular brown rice flour but the superfine gives it a nicer and less grainy texture)
1/2 cup (60 g) millet flour
1/4 cup (30 g) cornstarch
1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 tablespoons (110 g) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 to 7 tablespoons ice water

Combine the first five ingredients in the food processor and pulse to aerate. Add the diced butter and pulse ten times until the butter is the size of peas. Add the ice water and pulse until it comes together. It will not form a ball. Transfer the dough to your work surface and knead a couple of times. Wrap it in plastic wrap, flatten it, and form it into a disk. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Dust your preferably cold work surface with superfine brown rice flour. Roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Fill a 9-inch tart mold with the dough. Cut off excess and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Lightly dock the bottom of the tart dough with a fork. Cover it with parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove beans and bake for another 5 minutes.

Reduce heat to 350F (180C).

BERRY AND YOGURT FILLING
1/4 cup (50 g) natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 eggs
3 tablespoons almond flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) whole-milk yogurt (I love sheep’s milk yogurt)
1/2 cup (125 ml) whole milk
2 cups (280 g) summer berries (blueberries, currants, red and black raspberries, blackberries, strawberries… or even stone fruit)

Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and rub them between your fingers until very fragrant. Add the eggs and whisk. Add the almond flour and whisk until lump free. Whisk in the yogurt and milk until smooth.

Pour the mixture into the prebaked tart. Top with the berries.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the custard is set. Let the tart cool for 15 minutes before cutting.

ps: watch out for Aran’s forthcoming book, it’s sure to be amazing!

PHOTOS + FOOD: Aran Goyoaga
PROPS + LOCATION: Nadia Dole

posted on August 7, 2012 by Nikole

1. Alison says:

I love this series and I’m so excited about a new gluten free crust to try.

2. Golubka says:

So incredibly beautiful, that first photo truly took my breath away. Thank you Nikole for this great series and Nadia & Aran – for the pie.

3. chelsea says:

You got it right, talented AND kind. I love these two!! This tart looks simple amazing and oh so delicious!

4. Oh, how dreamy! Aran and Nadia, what a great team :) Gorgeous photos and can’t wait to try the recipe! Lovely series Nikole!

5. OH! I have just discovered this beautiful blog and now you are pointing to two more sources of delight! Thank you;)

6. elisa says:

just gorgeous. i adore custard and berries and conversation! beautiful series, nikole x

7. Emily says:

This is so so beautiful–I can’t wait to make it! Been loving your “for the love of pie” posts.

-emily
    http://www.nothinginthehouse.com // a pie blog

8. Y says:

What a great post, and who could ever say no to pie!

9. Ah! So scrumptious, it is such a shame that we don’t really get fresh red currants here in Oz. They come to us all frozen from Canada!

10. I love the concept of “For the love of pie”. Even if it’s with Aran and Nadia, it’s such a good idea! This is a very great team. Thank you so much Nikole! I’m going to make this recipe, it’s good to change from my usual recipe for blueberry pie meringue ^_^

11. Mariela says:

This pie look so delicious and amazing, well done!!

12. That’s alot of berries! A very berry pie!

Arthur!

13. Amazingly gorgeous. Almost too beautiful to eat :)

14. Erica says:

How very pretty! Thanks for the photos and details.

15. [...] gluten-free berry and yogurt tart. /* [...]

16. I LOVE pie and this adorable little edible is sooo calling my name. I have never made a gluten free pie so I’m excited to try something new. Can’t wait…drooling at your photos and the idea of tasting those berries. Gracias for sharing! Besos!

17. Kristen says:

Adore both of those ladies and this pie looks stunning!

18. Aran says:

Thank you Nikole for letting us share our tart with you in this space that inspires us so much. And thank you everyone for your kind words.

And cannot wait for your class next wee Nikole!! See you soon. xo

19. Jenny says:

Oh my goodness. The photos. The berries. The gluten-free crust. Everything about this is lovely. Thank you.

20. nadia says:

dear nikole thank you for including us in your series. i am truly inspired with what you do and the incredible eye you have for beauty. this series is no exception. i can not wait to learn from you, see you soon.

21. Linda says:

Can you use frozen berries in this recipe?

22. Felicidades por tu trabajo!!!!!!!
    Besos desde España

23. Cata says:

Can I use almond milk in this recipe?

24. Aran says:

Cata- yes you can ! :)

25. Shelby says:

What a dreamy combination of talent, ingredients and passion…I love this collaboration and can’t wait to give the recipe a try!

26. Holly says:

your website is beautiful! i just came across it, and I too love canelle et vanille (it inspired me to write my blog bellybellylalala.com). I am looking forward to australian summer to try this pie

27. Holy smokes. Holy smokes. I love pie. And I love these photos. They’re so colorful. I’m ready to lick the computer screen! Shared in my finds today:

28. Melissa says:

Such a beautiful post. Had the pleasure of meeting Aran and Nadia recently- so, so lovely. I love this series that you are doing. Can’t wait for the next installment.

29. Edwina says:

Oh my gosh this really makes me want to make a pie. So glad it’s gluten free. Unfortunately I can only salivate over the pictures since dairy and eggs are not options for me right now…
    Thanks so much for your beautiful blog, it’s one of my favorites.

30. Janie says:

I just tried out this lovely recipe today, but somewhat accidentally doubled the custard portion. Any idea about what to do with the extra? I’ve never made custard before, so I’m at a complete loss. Can I put it in the oven by itself or cook it on the stove?

31. Aran says:

Janie, you could most certainly bake it in small individual ramekins!

32. marla says:

Such a beautiful post!! Thanks for profiling two such amazing women. I need some of that pie for breakfast now!

33. rob says:

[1st photo]………. celestial, the cosmos

34. [...] {row 1} via here (anyone know original source?), aran goyoaga for herriott grace, karen mordechai for sunday suppers {row 2} emerson fry, one little bird studio {row 3} rebecca [...]

35. [...] who was featured today? Yes, Nadia and myself. A berry and yogurt tart we enjoyed during our trip to Vermont, which reminds me… will share a post about our trip [...]

36. [...] tart // earrings Tweet This entry was posted in Life by Nikki. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

37. Juliet says:

This looks wonderful and I think it would be perfect to serve as a dessert for Christmas! Is it possible to substitute the flours (both in the crust and the filling) with plain, all-purpose flour because it can be difficult to find the types you mentioned in my local grocery store in South Africa. Thanks!

38. This is absolutely stunning and looks like the perfect July 4th sweet finale. Thanks for sharing!

39. […] Original Recipe with Gluten free variation […]