for the love of pie: anne sage

FOR THE LOVE OF PIE — a series that celebrates the simple things.
Today, Anne & Kate’s Cherry Hand Pies! And that little thing called friendship.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
I’d planned to tell you
all about the goodness
that’s happened around here in the last month.
Planned to tell where we’ve been
and what we’ve been up to.

I wanted to tell you of our trips to
Vancouver Island and New York City.
About all the talented folks
we’ve had the pleasure of working with lately.

And of just how extraordinary
I think the internet is
at introducing like-minded people.

But then I remembered Anne’s pie post and I thought, perfect!
You see the first day Anne and Kate met in person
was the day they got to making these pies.
And to me, that’s a pretty great thing.

Find a little more about Anne & Kate and their recipe below.

WHO?

Anne Sage, Blogger at The City Sage

WHAT KIND?
The official name for this recipe is Cherry Hand Pie. However I’ve dubbed it Friendship Pie, as I asked my lovely friend Kate Arends to my house to bake it with me. Kate is the blogger at the beautiful site Wit & Delight. We’ve been online pals for years, but the sunny Tuesday morning when she visited San Francisco was the first time we’d ever met in person! I like to invite people over to bake individually sized foods, such as small pies or pizzas, for example. It provides an activity around which the gathering can center, and it helps to break the ice.

WHERE?
These little pies are super versatile. Kate and I ate ours fresh from the oven with tea at 10 am, so they were more like a homemade pop-tart breakfast than a dessert. Once cooled, they were packable and portable, perfect for picnics or potlucks.

WHY?
I have a crippling weakness for cherries, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes that make the most of them. In fact, I’ve always thought that if I were a fruit I’d be a cherry–a bit sweet, a bit tart, and requiring of some effort to enjoy but worth it in the end.

BEST…

…when made by a team. Because sure, it doesn’t actually take two people to prepare these pies, but everyone has a lot of fun when they get their hands in that dough.

ONE OR TWO THINGS:

Little known fact: prior to going full-time my various media gigs, I worked as the chef at a tech start-up here in San Francisco. I definitely know my way around the kitchen and have a few culinary tricks up my sleeve that I like to pull out now and then, but on the whole I was quite happy to hang up my apron.

CHERRY HAND PIES

Makes 12

This recipe is from one of my favorite food blogs, Spoon Fork Bacon. A collaboration between photographer Teri Lyn Fisher and food stylist Jenny Park, the recipes on the blog are foolproof and the writing is gut-bustingly hilarious. How can you possibly resist commentary like this? “Single serving pastries. The stuff dreams are made of. They prevent a hog situation from arising yet still satisfy everyone.”

I tweaked the recipe ever so slightly by adding 1/4 cup granulated sugar to the dough; I knew I wasn’t going to be putting the glaze on the pies, so I wanted to inject a little extra sweetness. Though Kate and I both agreed that the real hero in this dough recipe was the cream cheese.

PIE DOUGH
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¼ cup cold cream cheese, cut into cubes
2 Tablespoons buttermilk

FILLING

3 cups cherries, pitted and quartered
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons almond extract

EGG WASH

1 egg
1 tablespoon heavy cream

CHERRY ICING (not shown in these photos)

½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons Kirshwasser
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the cold cubs of butter and cream cheese and cut in with a pastry knife or your fingers until a fine crumble is made.
4. Add the buttermilk and gently work together, until a dough just comes together.
5. Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
6. While the dough chills prepare the filling. Place the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix together until well combined. Set aside and allow the mixture to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface until ¼ inch thick.
8. Cut twelve 4 inch circles from the dough and fill each with a small amount of cherry filling.
9. Whisk together the egg and cream.
10. Brush the perimeter of each hand pie with the egg wash and fold/pinch together, creating ½ circles.
11. Press the ends with the back of a fork to seal and brush the tops with the egg wash.
12. Using a pairing knife, cut 3 small slits on the tops of each hand pie.
13. Place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Allow the hand pies to cool completely on a cooling rack.
15. While the hand pies cool, place the powdered sugar, Kirshwasser, cream, and vanilla extract into a small bowl and gently stir together with a fork until fully incorporated and smooth.
16. Drizzle the icing over the hand pies and serve.

And big thanks to
Edyta Szyszlo for the beautiful photos in this post!

posted on August 28, 2012 by Nikole

1. emily says:

Hand pies are the best. Baking with friends is also the best. So really, this is perfection! Yum!

2. Megan says:

So sweet! The photos are so pretty, and the pies look delicious!

3. Hannah says:

what a cute post! i love baking with friends and enjoy the end-product after finishing…
    i totally love the photos, theey are really really awesome

4. Ste says:

Lovely blog and post! I want to try this but no cherries around noW. I will try with raspberry. Amazing photos. Thank for sharing with us :)

5. I’ve been making hand pies as a way to preserve the summer fruits (keeping the pies in the freezer and baking off one when the craving hits me). Love this story of friendship and the cherry pies look delicious.

6. Mariela says:

What a great story about friendship.
    Beautiful photos and delicious pie!
    xx

7. I have a young daughter who adores cherries. I think I should try making these pies:)

8. Dennie says:

aww, this is so cute :)

9. Y says:

Such a gorgeous post! Can’ wait for cherries to come into season here so I can make these!

10. [...] the love of pie’ series! Shop talk and pie recipes, yes please! You have to check it out here! Tags: blog features, editorial, Press [...]

11. erin kate says:

Absolutely gorgeous photos !

12. such a pleasure to see two blogs I read come together on this one! Stories of friendship, whether online or in person, are the absolute best.

13. [...] is an all-around cool chic. I posted some outtakes from the shoot, but be sure to head over to fourty-sixth and grace for the recipe and story behind the pies. No [...]

14. Nicole says:

Love, love this series! It’s fun to see all the people behind some of my favorite blogs and sites coming together to share a love of baking, pies, and friendship. Inspiring and delicious:)

15. amy m says:

So happy we got to meet, i need an afternoon with you next time!

16. Melanie says:

I just saw a link to these photos from Dustjacket Attic, so I had to compliment the photographer on Twitter and come here to say how much I loved them! I’m looking forward to exploring your blog.

17. There’s something is so utterly enticing about the words: cherry hand pie. Gorgeous post!

18. nadia says:

i love this post, what beautiful images and collaboration!

19. I love when friends gather to make delicious foods. The hand pies are drool-worthy and rustic :)

20. I love everything about this post! Kate and Anne look beautiful, the pies look delicious, it is all shot so wonderfully by Edyta. And to top it off it’s about friendship! I couldn’t help but smile while reading it :)

21. Sounds and looks truly amazing!

22. Rachael says:

oh so cute! where were these taken?

23. Natalie says:

Vancouver Island! Can’t wait to see where you went – I’m lucky enough to call it home.
    In the meanwhile, the pies are adorable (and probably tasty!)

24. Cant wait to try this recipe! and delighted to have found your blog via The City Sage!

25. Michelle says:

Stumbled upon your store and blog via pinterest as I just got weck jars. My sister and I have a bath body company in Victoria bc and are originally from Toronto. Love the look of your store and love your photos and writing on you blog.

26. [...] Anne cheekily named the mini-cherry pies we made “friendship pies”. They were as delicious as they look! I also had the pleasure of meeting Edyta, talented photographer who captured the process. Edyta is an all-around cool chic. I posted some outtakes from the shoot, but be sure to head over to fourty-sixth and grace for the recipe and story behind the pies. [...]

27. Tanika says:

your work is making me so happy, i discovered it after the post san fran girl wrote today … i am smiling from ear to ear browsing through your blog. =)

28. […] these personal sized pies were just the thing to satisfy our cravings. Using a recipe adapted from Forty-Sixth at Grace, we present you with some easy-to-make heart shaped hand pies – just in time for […]