a little on my lately & the hudson river valley

The pictures here don’t relate to my title so much
but suffice to say,
they came from a trip with equal beauty
to that of the week before last.

We arrived in the dark
late Thursday
to a small cottage
far off the beaten track.
A place near Cold Spring, New York
in the Hudson River Valley.
A part of the state that I hadn’t been before
but one so full of beauty,
I’m certain I’ll be back.

We awoke early Friday
to a farm so quietly beautiful
that it took a moment
to take it all in.

On our way to breakfast
we walked the wrong way
down the drive
and found ourselves smack in front
of two spotted pigs.
They ran toward us at a rate I was surprised to see
ears flapping
and snouts snorting.
It was awesome.

We saw fields of fireflies,
pastures with cows
and more deer
than I could reasonably count.
We saw piglets and chicks
and tiny wee goats.

We sat by a boathouse,
we drove to the city to watch a game,
we ate cookies outside
and drank champagne on the back step.
It was busy and tiring
and pretty close to perfect.

I’ll be back with pie later this week.
Until then, hope things are swell.

this post
these sandals and these ones too
this looks fun
DIY bracelets (via)
i like the pizza here
i’d like to spend a weekend here (via)
this town looks nice
there are still tickets left to my sunday suppers workshops, you should come!
the hudson highlands are beautiful
and this looks delicious

photos in this post are by michael graydon
for, into the beguiling wild, by tara o’bradymichael graydon & me (in kinfolk magazine and including recipes)
and find tara and my campfire twist bread in video, here. yum!

posted on July 9, 2012 by Nikole

1. chelsea says:

Your trip sounds amazing!! I am in Germany right now in the forest where pigs run wild. I went to a dinner a few nights ago where we ate wild pig. It was so good!!

• Nikole says:

It really was Chelsea! The pigs I saw weren’t wild but awesome anyway. I’ve been seeing your photos on Instagram, it looks SO amazing where you are. Have a wonderful trip. (ps: I love the DIY bracelets you posted about!)

2. simply beautiful, as always. That last photo of you in the truck looks like it was taken in the woods of Oregon or something!

3. Melissa says:

Wow that sounds like the perfect place for sure! Need photos!!! So wish I could come to your Sunday Supper workshop as a fan of your work and theirs.

4. I like your description of the charging pigs. Fun.

5. Jacqueline says:

I am absolutely in love with Michael’s photography — thank you for introducing me to it!

And your description of the trip is wonderful. So poetic.

6. Oh boy. That fish looks so good! Lovely photos

7. Jeane M. says:

Wow, I love fresh catches, they taste good. Planning to have trip this weekend too.

8. Sasha says:

Oh that picture of the salmon has me wanting the recipe. I’ve ordered the new Kinfolk and, as always, I am looking forward to reading your contribution! I’ve got my fingers crossed (or thumbs pressed as the Germans do) that it includes the salmon recipe as well.

Who knew the Hudson river valley was so special? I’ll have to try to make it there one day.

Happy summer!

9. celine says:

I love that photo of you. M is so good with the shadows and light. And that instagram of that cabin is just the best littlt cabin I have ever seen. I missed that one on instagram!
    your trip sounds beautiful. And it was so good to see you yesterday!
    xo

10. Linda says:

That salmon shot is irresistible. Michael is such a talented photographer! You guys make a great duo.

11. Rikki says:

Cold Spring is right down the road from where I live, it really is so beautiful here. Excited to hear you were so close!

12. Stunning pictures!
    Those IM sandals are a dream!

13. Nancy says:

Cured salmon is my favourite and that piece looks wonderful! And drinking champagne on the back porch sounds like the perfect partner for it!

14. Anna says:

Your photography is simply breathtaking, and I like the ‘for the love of pie’ segment :)

Anna x

15. [...] last year when I told you about a trip Michael and I took to the Hudson River Valley? I didn’t mention it then but we had travelled there to shoot a [...]